- 1 9 inch pie crust. I have used graham cracker crusts but I prefer regular.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 bananas
- Have pie shell ready and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, scald the milk.
- Combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually in the scalded milk.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thick and bubbly.
- continue to cook for two minutes longer.
- In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
- Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
- Let sit until lukewarm.
- When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas
- Place pie in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
For the topping
1 cup of heavy cream
2 tbs of sugar
Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
Top Banana Cream Pie with the Cool Whip topping spread chopped walnuts around the edges (optional).