Southern-fried cabbage and bacon will become an instant favorite from the first bite. You have tender cabbage that is seasoned to perfection with garlic, onions, and of course salty bacon. Serve this dish up any day of the week or to your guests and watch it disappear instantly. This fried cabbage and bacon is magical, it just works in an incredible way!
If you have never had pan-fried cabbage, you are not living. I mean to tell you this side dish is simple to make but loaded with vibrant flavors. Pair with any main dish and watch it outshine the meal. I used a cast-iron skillet and it worked perfectly for that southern fried cabbage I grew up eating.
Cast Iron Southern Fried Cabbage And Bacon
This dish is hearty enough to make it a meal on its own if you prefer to go that route over a side dish. Pair with a homemade dinner roll, side salad, or even vegetable, and call it a meal! However, if you choose to serve this fried cabbage you are sure to enjoy it.
More Cabbage Recipes
Ingredients for Southern Fried Cabbage
Directions for Bacon and Cabbage Recipe
- Cut bacon into chunks and fry in a cast iron pan.
- Fry bacon pieces on medium-high heat until brown
- Remove bacon from the pan and set it aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Saute Onion and garlic until tender in the bacon fat.
- Add cabbage and seasonings to the pan.
- Saute stirring frequently until cabbage is tender.
- Add cooked bacon back into the pan and stir.
Tips & Tricks
- Cut bacon into 1″ strips prior to cooking to cut down on cooking time.
- Chop Cabbage and remove the core.
- Use a Cast Iron Pan for the best results but you can use a nonstick pack.
FAQs about cabbage
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Cut bacon into bite-size pieces and Fry in medium heat until brown and crispy.
- Remove bacon and leave grease from the bacon in a pan
- Place Onion and garlic in the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Chop up your cabbage into bite-size pieces.
- Place cabbage in the pan along with spices.
- Stir and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir bacon back into the pan and mix with the cabbage.
- Serve and Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 415Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 1680mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 29g
So what are you waiting for? Give this simple and easy side dish recipe a try. If you enjoy cabbage you will love the fun twist of fried cabbage. Grab a skillet and your ingredients and get to work on one outstanding dinner dish to serve up.
What readers are saying:
Readers who have made this recipe are raving about it! Here is what they had to say after feeding their family: