Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Pie is a delicious bacon cheeseburger filling, topped with homemade mashed potatoes and cheese and finished off in the oven. Comfort food at its finest.
Bacon Cheeseburger Skillet Pie
I wanted to try something new so I did a bacon cheeseburger pie. This is similar to shepherd’s pie but much tastier. I hope you enjoy this recipe.
How to Make
Step 1: Start by preheating your oven and then cook your bacon in your cast iron skillet. Once done remove bacon and drain most of the grease.
While that is cooking go ahead and make mashed potatoes if you don’t have some done already
Step 2: Now add in your raw hamburger, peppers and mushrooms and cook the beef making it crumble. Cook until no longer pink.
Step 3: Mix in the condensed soup and 4 pieces of crumbled bacon. Top with your mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
Step 4: Carefully move your dish to oven and bake as directed. When you remove garinish with green onions and serve.
Can I Use Ground Turkey To Replace Beef
If you are looking to use ground turkey to replace the beef go right ahead. It will change the flavor a bit but still be pretty delicious.
You could even use a ground chicken if you prefer. Just cook until no longer pink and nice and crumbly for whatever meat you substitute.
What to Serve With This Skillet Pie
You can serve this essentially as a meal in one. Or pair with a green crisp salad, a side of veggies or anything else you would like.
This is a bit of a heavy comforting main dish. So feel free to pair with a lighter side dish to help balance it out,
Best Way to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers make sure to place in an airtight container. Store in your fridge for up to three days.
When you want more reheat in the microwave or even the oven. If you do the oven you might cover and reheat that way so it doesn’t dry out.
Can You Freeze Leftovers
I personally have not tried to freeze this leftover.
To me, I would imagine you could freeze it just fine. Store in a proper container for up to three months.
Thaw in the fridge the night before you plan to reheat. Or place in the oven covered from frozen and reheat until fully warmed. You can remove foil about 15 minutes before Casserole is done.
What If I Don’t Own A Cast Iron Skillet
No cast iron? Simply cook up your dish in a regular skillet. Then assemble in a pie pan or even 8×8 pan.
Then bake as directed. Or if you own an oven-safe skillet you could use that as well. You just want to ensure it is safe for baking in the oven.
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- 1 can of condensed cheese soup
- 8 oz of cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of homemade mashed potatoes
- mushrooms and peppers Optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat your cast iron skillet on a medium heat.
- Fry the bacon until crispy, drain most of the grease and put bacon aside.
- In the same pan fry the hamburger meat and add in the mushrooms and peppers if you wish. once the meat is no longer pink
- add in one can of condensed cheddar soup
- crumble up 4 slices of the bacon and add to the mix.
- Stir everything all together.
- Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle cheddar cheese covering the top.
- Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cheese on top is brown.
- Garnish top with leftover bacon and Enjoy! My husband loved this dish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 590Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 1155mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g