Air Fryer Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas
Air Fryer Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas are a quick and easy dessert made completely in the air fryer. Creamy strawberry cheesecake filling in a warm tortilla, crisped in the air fryer, and rolled in cinnamon sugar.
This truly decadent dessert is ready in less than 20 minutes and full of flavor from vanilla extract and lemon zest. You may also want to try my Air Fryer Apple Pie Bombs they are very easy to make and bursting with the apple flavor you will love.
What do I need to get started?
- Cream cheese. Full fat cream cheese is always best. Low fat will result in a runny cheesecake filling.
- Sour cream – This will lend to an extra creamy and rich filling.
- Granulated sugar.
- Vanilla extract.
- Lemon zest – I don’t recommend skipping this. The lemon zest adds a much needed acidity to the dish and pairs well with the strawberry and vanilla.
- Flour tortillas.
- Cinnamon and sugar.
How do I roll a chimichanga?
- Chimichangas are folded similarly to a burrito. Take about 2 spoonfuls of your filling, and place them on one side of the tortilla.
- Flip that side, then fold the two sides of the tortilla toward the center and then roll the tortilla until it is closed. If you are worried about your tortilla staying in place, secure it with a toothpick (just be sure to remove the toothpick after your chimichangas are in the air fryer basket.)
- Repeat the process with all remaining tortillas until the filling is gone.
How do I make strawberry cheesecake chimichangas in the air fryer?
- Take the room temperature cream cheese, sour cream, ¼ cup of sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon and mix together until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.. I prefer to do this with an electric mixer, but you can do it by hand, just make sure to go until it is completely smooth. Once the mix is combined completely and free from lumps, fold in the strawberries.
- Combine the remaining sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow bowl and set aside. Fill your tortillas, then it is ready for the air fryer!
- Roll your chimichangas in the cinnamon-sugar mixture immediately after removing them from the air fryer.
Can I make them in advance?
I recommend serving these immediately after making, but if you do make ahead of time, make the recipe completely then you can store in the fridge for up to three days. To crisp them up again, air fry for a minute and roll in cinnamon sugar again.
Can I bake them in the oven?
Yes, these can be baked in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with oil and sprinkle with sugar before putting in the oven. If you do not have an air fryer and don’t want to deal with deep frying, baking this way will get you the nice crisp you’re looking for.
Can I use frozen strawberries?
I recommend using fresh hulled and sliced strawberries for this recipe. If frozen is all you have, thaw completely before using.
Can I freeze them?
I do not recommend freezing Air Fryer Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas – the cheesecake filling will gain moisture in the freezing process and turn more runny than you’d like. If you still want to try freezing, do it after they’ve cooled down from the air fryer and without rolling in cinnamon and sugar.
- Don’t overstuff the tortillas. Overfilled tortillas will spray out all over your air fryer – less is more for these.
- Spray the air fryer basket and the chimichangas with cooking spray when you put them in the basket.
- Roll the tortillas slowly and carefully – you want them rolled as tightly as possible without any filling escaping.
More Recipes You must try!
What should I serve with the strawberry chimichangas?
For some extra flavor, serve with hot fudge or chocolate syrup, and top with cool whip and extra strawberries.
Air Fryer Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas
Air Fryer Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas are a quick and easy dessert made completely in the air fryer. Creamy strawberry cheesecake filling in a warm tortilla, crisped in the air fryer, and rolled in cinnamon sugar. This truly decadent dessert is ready in less than 20 minutes, and full of flavor from vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup strawberries, diced
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, ¼ cup sugar, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Lay out a tortilla and spoon 2 tablespoons of filling on one side.
- Fold that edge over, then fold in the sides. Roll up tightly without allowing filling to come out.
- Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Add the chimichangas and spray them.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and set for 400°. Set the timer for 5 minutes, turn them over at 3 minutes.
- Combine ½ cup sugar and the cinnamon together in a dish. Remove the chimichangas from the air fryer and roll in the cinnamon sugar.
- Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 22gProtein: 5g