Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole is comfort at its finest as it combines chicken, broccoli rice, and seasonings to create an easy dish your family will love. It is also the perfect dish to make ahead of time for those busy nights.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
This time of year I love comfort dishes like Dutch Oven Chili, Dutch Oven Pot Roast, and of course this cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole. They are warm hearty and just remind me so much of home.
I especially love this dish because it is easy! I can make it ahead of time, it is freezer friendly and tastes delicious.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Sauté Chicken
- Add Rice, Soup, Broccoli and water
- Bring to a boil
- Add Cheese cover and bake
- Add Ritz Crackers to top and return to oven.
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- Be sure to use long grain rice for this recipe. This rice gives that creamy consistency that you know and love.
- If you feel like your broccoli is becoming too mushy, be sure to use fresh broccoli. This tends to stay firm longer.
- If you are using frozen broccoli be sure to thaw it in a bowl of warm water first and then pat it dry. This ensures extra liquid is not added to the dish making it runny.
- Short on time? Substitute your cubed chicken for rotisserie chicken from the store.
- You can substitute your cream of chicken soup for cream of broccoli if you want more broccoli flavor.
As I said, I love this chicken broccoli and rice casserole because it can easily be made ahead of time. In fact, you can make it 2 days in advance.
Just follow the directions above and assemble then let it cool completely. Cover with plastic, and place in the fridge. When you start to preheat your oven remove from the fridge and set on the counter to come to room temperature. You will need to add 10-15 minutes extra baking time.
Broccoli Cheddar Freezer Storage
You can easily store this dish in the freezer for a busy night up ahead. You will follow the directions above, but instead of placing in your fridge, you will cover with foil and then with plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Pull it out the night before and place it in the fridge. Let it sit out while the oven preheats.
You can cook from a frozen state IF it is not in a glass dish. (The glass dish will likely shatter in the oven due to the extreme temperature change). To do this assemble in a throwaway tin and place in the freezer. Then when it is time to bake it, pull it out and start cooking. You will need to add at least an extra hour to the cooking time.
Storing left over chicken casserole
You will want to store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. These typically last for 3-4 days.
Try these other great casserole dishes!
- 1 Pound boneless skinless chicken cubed
- 1 head broccoli florets ( 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 oz can cream chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain rice uncooked
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese
- 20 Ritz crackers (crushed)
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350
- Saute cubed chicken until no longer pink.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper
- Add rice, condensed soup, and broccoli
- Add water and bring to a boil
- Add cheese to the top
- Cover tightly and bake
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven Add Ritz cracker topping
- return to oven for 5 minutes for the top to brown.
- Ritz topping:
- Crumble crackers and pour over melted butter over the crackers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 800mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g