The flu season this year has been horrendous. I hope everyone has gone out and got their flu shots. We like to take every precaution against the flu. When I worked in a clinic I think I was exposed to so much that I never got sick. Now that I work from home I think I get sick more just from going out to the stores touching the carts and being around all the sick people that are spreading germs around. It’s always such a pleasure when I see people cough on their hand then touch the carts and fruits in the produce department that always makes me feel good. Immune Boost Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup sure has helped a lot this flu season. Knock on wood I have not got the flu this year. I always look for quick and easy Instant Pot Recipes that also boost the immune system Elderberry Syrup does just that.
What is Elderberry? Elderberry is a plant the berries from the plant are used to make medicine. The Elderberry is used to boost the immune system when you have Influenza, the H1N1 Flu, Swine flu, or just an ordinary cold or sinusitis. Actually, I have an elderberry tree in my backyard and I did not even realize it. Trying out a homemade Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup Recipe was my first thought for fighting the flu this season.
Other uses for Elderberry Syrup is to treat Chronic Fatigue, Constipation, High Cholesterol, Back Pain and Nerve pain. Elderberry is also used to flavor wine! Who doesn’t love wine?
*Always check with your Doctor when taking any supplements like Elderberry.*
The Ingredients that you need for Homemade Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup are easy to find. If you find an Elderberry Plant in your yard make sure it’s is Elderberry and not some other plant. I did also find Elderberries right Amazon. If you are looking to really get your immune system in tip-top shape I also have a recipe for an Immune Boost Smoothie, Instant Pot Detox Cabbage Soup, and Fat Busting Smoothie.
Homemade Elderberry Syrup can be made right in your instant pot or in a pan on the stove. I personally like doing it in the instant pot it seems much easier.
You will also need a good Mesh Strainer and a good wooden spoon to press the berries and get all the juices out.
For the Flu Adults Take 1 tablespoon (15ML) 3-4 times per day for 3-5 days. Works best if taken within 24-48 hours of getting the flu.
to Boost Immune system take 1 tablespoon daily.
- 1 cup dried elderberries
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups raw honey
- Place water, Elderberries, Ginger, and Cinnamon in the Instant Pot
- Place your Instant Pot on Manual High pressure for 7 minutes
- Do a quick release
- Strain with a mesh strainer into a bowl and press berries to release all juices
- Let cool about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in Honey
- Transfer to a mason jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
For Stove Top:
1. Add the water, elderberries, ginger, cinnamon and cloves to a medium saucepan.
2. Place over medium heat until a low boil begins. Reduce heat and cover the saucepan. Allow the liquid to simmer slowly for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The liquid will reduce by half.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Place a strainer over a bowl and pour the warm liquid into the strainer. Mash the elderberries into the bottom of the strainer to squeeze out as much juice as possible.
4. Allow the liquid to cool for an additional 15 minutes. Add the honey and stir well. Transfer to a mason jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 50 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 31 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 8g Protein: 0g