This slow cooker mac and cheese will soon become a staple in your home as it combines uncooked pasta, cream cheese, American cheese, cheddar cheese, milk, and heavy whipping cream to create the most creamy mac and cheese recipe that you will ever taste!
Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese
There is something about mac and cheese that is the ultimate comfort dish. I swear this is the first meal we fall in love with as kids and our love for it grows even more over time.
If you are a mac and cheese lover, then you are going to love this recipe! It is creamy, hearty, cheesy, packed with flavor, and it cooks all in your crockpot! That’s right, a slow cooker mac and cheese recipe without boiling the noodles first!
Should I use Cream Cheese to make Mac and Cheese?
The short answer, absolutely! The cream cheese helps to thicken the sauce so you do not need to create a roux and also adds an additional layer of creaminess that the whole family will love.
Do I need to precook the noodles for this Crockpot Mac and Cheese Recipe?
No, you do not need to pre-cook the noodles when making this mac and cheese recipe.
How to Make Crockpot Mac and Cheese Without Boiling the Noodles First
- Spray slow cooker with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Add onions to slow cooker.
- Add macaroni noodles. This pasta turned out al dente.
- Pour in your milk and cream.
- Add Sharp Cheddar and American Cheese. Do not use pre shredded cheese to have a nice creamy cheese sauce.
- Add dry mustard or regular mustard on top.
- Add Cream Cheese and sour cream to the top.
- Place butter on top as well.
- The Cooking time for the Slow Cook is 1 hour.
- Remove lid and stir.
- Add remaining cheese and continue cooking for a half hour or until cheese is melted.
- Top with toasted panko bread crumbs
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- You can use any three types of cheese that you would like. I always recommend using cream cheese to make it nice and smooth and creamy, but mix up your other choices.
- Don’t forget to add a little bit of salt and pepper when you are ready to serve.
- Be sure to grate your own cheese rather than using pre shredded cheese. Pre shredded cheese is coated with cellulose which prevents it from melting to perfection.
- If your crockpot is big enough you can double the recipe.
How to Store leftover mac and cheese?
Store your leftover mac and cheese in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you find that your mac and cheese is too thick when you reheat it, add a splash of milk which will thin it out a bit.
What goes with Million Dollar Mac n Cheese?
Can I make this ahead of time?
This is not a dish that you want to make ahead of time. As it sits, the noodles will begin to get soggy and the sauce will begin to thicken, changing the texture of the dish.
- 16 oz dry elbow macaroni
- 1 cup heavy Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 oz Shredded American Cheese
- 8 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 4 tbsp butter
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp butter
- Spray the slow cooker with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Add chopped onions and uncooked pasta.
- Pour in milk and heavy cream.
- Add your mustard.
- Add half of the American and cheddar cheeses.
- Place cream cheese and butter on top.
- Cook on high for 1 hour or low for 2.
- Remove cover and add remaining cheese to the top.
- Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with toasted panko bread crumbs (optional)
Melt Butter in a small pan over a medium heat. Add bread crumbs and cook until golden brown 2-3 minutes.
I used deli American Cheese and shredded at home myself
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 837Total Fat: 61gSaturated Fat: 35gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 177mgSodium: 1088mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 26g