This super moist pineapple and coconut pina colada cake combine cake mix, vanilla pudding, shredded pineapple, and a can of cream of coconut that is then topped with cool whip and shredded coconut to create the perfect tropical dessert perfect for parties and get-togethers with friends and family.
Pineapple and Coconut Pina Colada Cake
I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love a good Pina Colada. That is why I am so excited to share with you one of my favorite cakes of all time, meet this super delicious pineapple and coconut pina colada cake that you will fall in love with on your very first bite!
It transforms an ordinary box cake mix into a party in your mouth that screams let’s celebrate. You will love how easy this cake is to make and it is alcohol-free making the perfect kid-friendly cake for any and every occasion!
Ingredients for Poke Cake
- Vanilla Boxed Cake Mix
- Cool Whip
- Cream of Coconuts
- Instant Vanilla Pudding
- Shredded coconut
- crushed Pineapple with pineapple juice
- maraschino cherries
How to make Pineapple and Coconut Pina Colada cake
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a small bowl Make instant vanilla pudding and set aside
- In a large bowl Mix together boxed vanilla cake, pineapple with juice, eggs, oil and water.
- Grease and flour a 9×12 baking pan
- Bake until top of the is golden brown and a toothpick inserted center comes out clean
- allow cake to cool completely
- Poke holes in top of the cake
- Pour over Coconut Cream
- Top with pudding, cool whip, coconut shreds, and maraschino cherries.
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- Want to add another layer of flavor? Use toasted coconut on top. Just bake it at 350 degrees on an ungreased baking sheet for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally as it bakes.
- I love adding maraschino cherries to the top. Feel free to add as many as you would like or omit them.
- Be sure to not poke your holes in the cake too quickly after it cooks. If you do, they will fill back up with cake.
- If you want a thicker cake, you can use an 11X 7 inch pan as well. It will take a little longer to cook so be sure to test it with a toothpick first.
- You can add rum extract to the batter for more of a piña colada taste
More Desserts You will love
Storing pineapple cake
You will want to store your leftover cake in the fridge covered for up to 4 days.
Can I make this Pina Colada Poke Cake Ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this ahead of time! In fact, I love to bake the cake the day before and poke the holes in it about 20- 30 minutes after removing it from the oven.
I then fill the holes with the cream of coconut and then add the pudding and let it sit, covered, overnight in the fridge. The next morning I will frost it and place it back in the fridge until we are ready to enjoy.
Is Cream of Coconut the same as coconut milk?
No, coconut milk is not the same as coconut cream of coconut. Cream of coconut has a thick syrup consistency that is similar to sweetened condensed milk. You will find coconut cream next to the drink mixes at the grocery store.
- Yellow Cake Mix
- 3.4 oz box Vanilla Pudding
- 20 oz can crushed Pineapple
- 15 oz can cream of coconut
- 8 oz tub of cool whip
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 14 oz shredded coconut
For the Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup oil
- decrease water to 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 350
- Make pudding mix in a small bowl according to directions and set aside.
- Spray 9x13 baking pan with cooking oil.
- Mix eggs, oil, water, cake mix, and crushed pineapple in a large bowl
- batter will look lumpy
- pour into greased pan
- bake for 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean
- allow the cake to cool about 30 minutes
- poke holes in the cake
- pour can of cream of coconut over the top of the cake
- Spread the pudding over the top
- Spread cool whip over the top of the pudding, add shredded coconut and cherries to top
- Cool in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 239mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 3gSugar: 25gProtein: 3g