Cast Iron Skillet Pizza is the best way to make pizza at home. You have a crispy dough that is thick, topped with pizza sauce, and piled high with toppings. Our go-to is mushrooms, peppers, and of course a good handful of mozzarella cheese. If you want to learn how to make cast iron skillet pizza, this recipe is for you.
One thing I love about living in central New York is Italian food. We have a pizza place on every corner with the best pizza. I have made pizza from home several times but there is nothing like pizza made in a cast iron pan. The crust is crispy and the dough is thick and delicious. I could not wait to try out the Cast Iron Skillet Pizza.
Easy Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
When time allows I always make homemade pizza dough. I find it adds more flavor and depth into the pizza. But, if I am short on time, or just can’t muster up the effort I have no shame in reaching for store-bought pizza dough. When you make cast iron skillet pizza it really transforms the flavor of the pizza dough!
Letting Dough Rest While Oven Preheats
One little trick I found is letting that cold pizza dough rest in your cast iron skillet as the oven is preheating all the way up to 500 degrees. I just spread my pizza dough on a greased skillet, and then wrap with saran wrap. This will help prep the dough for baking in the oven.
It allows the crust to cook more even when the chill wears off of the dough, and you get that golden and crunchy crust like you would at your favorite pizza place.
Topping Ideas for Cast Iron Skillet Pizza
Looking for ways to top that pizza of yours. Here is a handful of ingredients you can mix and match to make a pizza that will win over your crowd!
- Spinach leaves
- Veggies | Mushrooms, peppers, jalapenos, onions, tomatoes
- Meat | Sausage, ground beef, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, etc.
- Play with cheese like feta, provolone, etc.
You can opt for any of your favorite pizza toppings. If you enjoy it, then toss it on.
Best Way to Reheat Pizza
If you are not a fan of eating pizza cold, try this route! Turn oven to 275 degrees, and place your pizza slices on a baking sheet. Wrap in aluminum foil, and bake for 15-25 minutes or until the pizza is warmed through. This will help to give you that first-day texture of a crispy and warmed crust.
Or you can microwave or warm your pizza on a skillet on the stove. Either route works, I just find the oven method gives you the freshest taste.
If you are a lover of pizza, this cast iron skillet pizza will be calling your name for sure. We love pizza in our home, and this is my go-to method for making homemade pizza. Turns out awesome every single time.
Looking for a great Wing Recipe to go with your pizza? Ninja Foodi Crispy Wings are done in minutes.
- pizza dough
- olive oil
- pizza sauce
- 16 oz Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Oil your cast iron skillet and place dough inside cover with saran wrap and let sit while the oven is preheating about 20 minutes.
- Place in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place sauce, toppings and lots of cheese on your pizza
- Place your skillet in the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown. If you like an extra crispy crust you can place the skillet on top of the stove for 1-2 minutes.
- cuisinel - Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet (12-Inch) w/Handle Cover Oven Safe Cookware | Heat-Resistant Holder | Indoor and Outdoor Use | Grill, Stovetop, Induction Safe
- Don Pepino Original Pizza Sauce (Pack of 3) 15 oz Cans
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 198 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 396mg Carbohydrates: 4g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 13g