Looking for an easy but satisfying dish to serve up the whole family will enjoy? Cowboy Casserole in the Ninja Foodi or oven is the winning dish to try. Tender ground beef, cheese, corn, and more topped with crispy tater tots. If you are a meat and potato person this recipe is right up your alley. We grew up eating traditional tater tot casserole, this Cowboy casserole is an upgraded version.
Easy Cowboy Casserole
The Ninja Foodi was the perfect device to use for this recipe. It became a one-pot dish. Cook your met in the Foodi, create the filling, top with tater tots, and start cooking.
Minimal prep, little mess, and one savory dinner that everyone will love and enjoy. Best of all even the picky little eaters normally dive right in.
Can I Use Ground Turkey in Cowboy Casserole
If you are looking for a lighter version you could swap south ground turkey or even chicken. You might just need to add a little oil to pot when you cook the meat to prevent it from sticking to bottom since it’s a lower fat threshold.
Can I Make Cowboy Casserole A Freezer Meal
Yes! You totally cook. What I would do in this instance is to cook your filling as directed. Then transfer to a baking dish. Then top with your frozen tater tots, and then seal up tight and place in freezer.
Then when ready to heat and eat then oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes covered and then the last leg uncover the pan. Then finish cooking until cooked through and tots are crispy.
How long Does Cowboy Casserole Last In Fridge
You will want to eat up any leftovers within 3 days. After that, you need to toss out any leftovers.
Sides to Pair With Cowboy Casserole
Cowboy Casserole can be a dinner in one! But if you want a little something extra maybe reach for a crisp side salad to lighten up the dinner. The casserole has potatoes and corn already but if you want more veggies maybe do a broccoli or cauliflower side. If you are like most your juggling the balance on home life, chores, chasing kids, and work. Having a casserole that comes together quickly with minimal effort is a must. Saves you from having to order takeout and it’s a meal the whole family can enjoy. Plus leftovers reheat nicely so that’s always a mom win!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 bag frozen tator tots
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can rotel tomatoes with chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3 slices cooked bacon
- Green onions for topping optional
- Turn your foodi on saute, High
- Cook ground beef until no longer pink
- Add Onions and cook until they are soft about 1-2 minutes
- Add seasonings
- Stir in beans, corn, and sour cream Stir until well combined
- Top with your frozen hashbrowns
- Place the air crisper lid on the foodi and cook on 390 for 20 minutes
- Remove lid and place cheese on top Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with cooked bacon and green onions.
Stove Top Directions:
- Cook as above in a regular pan saute your meat as above.
- Pour meat into a casserole dish and top with tator tots
- bake in a casserole dish oven on 350 for 45 minutes or until tator tots are golden brown.
- Top with cheese and continue cooking for 5 minutes until melted.
- Ninja Foodi 1400-Watt Multi Cooker, Pressure Cooker, Steamer & Air Fryer w/ TenderCrisp Technology, Pressure & Crisping Lid, 6.5 Qt Pot (OP301), Black/Gray
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 500 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 116mg Sodium: 869mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 3g Protein: 34g