Classic banana poke cake is an easy go-to dessert as it combines moist cake, banana pudding, Cool Whip, and Vanilla Wafers for an irresistible treat that everyone will love.
With this banana pudding cake, you can guarantee your family and friends will be begging for seconds and thirds.
Banana cake is a staple in our home. I recall growing up requesting this for my birthday every single year. It was either that or birthday cake bites! What I love about this recipe is that it transforms an ordinary box of cake mix to an amazing treat that you will want to eat time and time again.
How to Make Banana Poke Cake:
- Prepare cake mix batter according to directions on the back of the box. Add in one mashed banana.
- Bake as directed
- Prepare pudding mix according to box directions
- Poke Vanilla Cake with holes
- Pour over your Banana Pudding
- Let cool for 1 hour
- Add a layer of Vanilla Wafers and Bananas then Spread cool whip topping on top and crushed vanilla wafers.
Tips, Tricks, and FAQs
- The best thing about this classic banana pudding cake mix is it is so versatile. You can add as many vanilla wafers as you want as well as banana slices. If you want less of the banana flavor you could swap out the banana pudding for vanilla pudding. The possibilities are endless.
- This cake uses Cool Whip! A classic from when I was growing up! A frequently asked question I get is if you can swap that out for a different frosting. The answer is yes. If you choose to do this go ahead and swap it for a cream cheese frosting. You will love the flavor it adds to it.
- If you find yourself with green bananas place them in a brown paper bag to speed up the ripening process. For this recipe, I love to use brown spotty bananas to add even more flavor. The riper the banana the better when it comes to banana cake!
Can I use other toppings?
Feel free to test out all kinds of toppings with this cake. There is no wrong way to make a banana cake. Sometimes I substitute the vanilla wafers for
- Extra banana pieces
How do I store banana pudding cake?
Since this cake is made with pudding and is topped with Cool Whip you will want to store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last 3-4 days in the fridge. Note that the bananas will brown, and the Vanilla wafers may become soggy, but they are still safe to eat.
Can I make this ahead of time?
The best thing about this cake is that you can easily make it ahead of time. Bake the cake and add the pudding then place it in the fridge covered.
I recommend waiting to add the banana slices, the Vanilla Wafers, and the Cool Whip until right before you are going to serve it.
Can I freeze this cake?
One of my favorite things about this cake is that you can freeze it. You will want to freeze it prior to the pudding, and the toppings.
Wrap it well in plastic and then in foil to prevent freezer burn.
When you are ready to enjoy, place it in the fridge overnight and then follow the directions accordingly. This cake will last about 3 months in the freezer.
Why make classic Banana Poke Cake
- It is a quick and easy recipe that looks like you spent all day baking it.
- Most ingredients you can always have on hand. So when you are feeling like something sweet you can make it without running to the store.
- This is a comfort dessert.
- Can we claim it as a healthy dessert? I think so, it does have bananas!
Let me know how your cake turns out in the comments!
For more great dessert recipes be sure to check out these other favorites!
- Salted Caramel Cookie Bars
- Cherry and Cheesecake Dump Cake
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- Dr. Pepper Crockpot Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 Box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 2 Bananas
- 2 Boxes instant pudding mix
- 1 tub cool whip
- 20 crushed vanilla wafers
- 20 Vanilla wafers not crushed
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Optional add one mashed banana to the cake batter.
- Bake and cool cake.
- Prepare boxed pudding according to directions.
- Poke holes in your cake using the end of a spoon
- Pour pudding mix over cake
- Cook in the fridge for 1 hour
- Slice banana and layer on top of the pudding
- a layer of vanilla wafers
- top with cool whip
- Top cool whip with crushed vanilla wafers
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g