Skillet chicken pot pie is a total comfort food recipe. A creamy, rich broth that is loaded with tender chicken and loads of veggies. Topped with a flaky crust that completes the dish. If you are a fan of homemade comfort foods, this pot pie recipe is exactly what you want.
The crisp air, the changing colors of the leaves, and the smell of apple pie baking are all my favorite parts of fall, along with watching football with my husband and making comfort foods like my Dutch Oven Chili, Cheesy Crockpot Potatoes, Crockpot Ranch Pork Chops, or even a Pear Cobbler.
Why Make Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
This skillet pot pie is such a great dinner idea.
The oven will fill your home with incredible comforting flavors as it bakes away!
This is a fantastic way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
Ingredients For Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- Shredded Chicken Breast like a Rotisserie chicken
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Peas and carrots
- Pie Crust
- Potatoes Cubed into 1″ pieces
- Salt and pepper
Step by Step Directions for Chicken Pot Pie
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter in skillet and add celery,onions,chopped carrots. Saute until veggies are soft. Mix in flour.
Keep the skillet on a medium heat pour in chicken broth,heavy cream and then potatoes,and add peas,and corn. Add chicken.
Add Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian Seasonings. Stir chicken mixture well and continue cooking over a medium high heat until sauce thickens bring to a simmer.
Remove from heat and top with store bought pie crust.
Brush melted butter over the top of the pie crust. Score top of pie crust with a paring knife.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
Tips and Tricks for Skillet Pot Pie
- Use a oven safe skillet like a cast iron pan or you can cook in a fry pan and transfer to a pie tin.
- To save time you can buy a rotisserie chicken and use the meat for your pot pie.
- You can use frozen or fresh veggies for this recipe.
- Swap chicken for turkey, which is great for using up leftover holiday turkey.
- Use fresh veggies instead of frozen ones.
- Add in mushrooms or other veggies for more flavor.
- Skip the meat and make it vegetarian. Use vegetable broth in replace of chicken broth.
- Toss in some cheese for a cheesy twist!
Frequently Asked Questions about Chicken Pot Pie
Absolutely, you can use fresh or frozen veggies in this recipe.
If you don’t have an oven safe skillet feel free to use a pie pan for baking your pot pie. Or even use another shaped pan if you prefer. This recipe doesn’t have to be cooked in a skillet and then baked. You can always transfer to a baking dish.
Place in fridge in an air tight container for up to 3 days.
Yes, You can make this meal ahead of time and freeze for up to 6 months. Freeze in a pie tin.
If frozen place in fridge for 24 hours then bake at 350 for one hour. If thawed place a slice in the microwave or back in the oven for 20 minutes.
Yes, this recipe can be made in the instant pot I have the full directions for Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie. This is made using the Air Fryer Lid. If you do not have the air fryer lid you may want to make my Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Casserole.
Yes, You can bake with canned biscuits instead of a pie crust.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half n half
- 1 pound Shredded Chicken Breast
- 1 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 Onion chopped
- Pie Crust
- 1/4 cup Peas
- 2 ribs of chopped celery
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp italian seasonings
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a skillet and add celery, onions, and chopped carrots. Saute until veggies are soft. Mix in flour.
- Keep the skillet on medium heat pour in chicken broth, heavy cream, and then potatoes, and add peas, and corn.
- Add chicken.
- Add Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian Seasonings.
- Stir the chicken mixture well and continue cooking over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and bring it to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and top with store-bought pie crust.
- Brush melted butter over the top of the pie crust. Score the top of the pie crust with a paring knife.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown.\
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 474mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 20g