Smoked Queso Dip is an irresistible smoky cheese dip that is loaded with sausage, tomatoes, creamy cheese, and Mexican seasonings all smoked to perfection on your smoker or grill.
This queso is a crowd-pleaser for sure whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just for a weeknight snack with that delicious smoky flavor. This dip has it all and is very easy to make in the smoker. I used my Kamado Joe Smoker but you can use any brand smoker or charcoal grill.
Ingredients for Smoked Queso Dip
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Velveeta cheese, cubed
- cream cheese, cubed
- heavy cream
- green chiles, drained
- Rotel, diced tomatoes drained
- jalapenos peppers, seeded and diced (or bell peppers)
- cooked chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- chili powder
- fresh cilantro, chopped
Step by Step Directions for Smoked Queso Recipe
Preheat your smoker to 225℉. In a cast-iron pan or disposable aluminum pan, add in sections the cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, Velveeta cheese, and cream cheese
Pour the heavy cream over the cheeses.
Sprinkle over the green chilies, Rotel, diced jalapenos, chili powder, and cumin.
Add the Sausage to the cast iron pan.
Smoke for 30 minutes (the time may vary depending on your smoker) or until the cheeses are melted and bubbling slightly.
Mix together using a wooden spoon and let smoke for another 10 minutes.
Remove from the smoker and stir in the chopped cilantro, serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Variations Tips and Tricks
- Replace chorizo with breakfast sausage or ground beef.
- If you do not want a spicy dip you can skip the jalapenos.
- Instead of Pepper Jack Cheese, you can use Monterrey Shredded Cheese.
- If you do not have a smoker you can cook this in the oven and add liquid smoke.
Frequently Asked Questions
If your queso is too thick you can add another splash of milk and stir.
Follow the directions above and add 1 tsp of liquid smoke. Place in a preheated oven at 325 for 30 minutes stirring after 15 minutes.
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Place the desired amount on a microwave safe dish and heat for 2 minutes in 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals.
Tortilla Chips, Crackers, for a lower calorie you can use veggie sticks like celery,carrot, or bell peppers. You can even serve this queso dip over rice or pasta.
Hickory or Mesquite goes well with this queso dip.
- 8oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8oz pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 8oz velveeta cheese, cubed
- 8oz cream cheese, cubed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 4oz can green chiles, drained
- 10oz can rotel, drained
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 12oz cooked chorizo sausage, finely chopped
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- ½ TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat your smoker to 225℉.
- In a cast-iron pan or disposable foil pan, add in sections the cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, Velveeta cheese, and cream cheese.
- Pour the heavy cream over the cheeses and sprinkle over the green chilies, Rotel, diced jalapenos, chorizo sausage, chili powder, and cumin.
- Smoke for 30 minutes (the time may vary depending on your smoker) or until the cheeses melted and bubbled slightly.
- Mix together using a wooden spoon and let smoke for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the smoker and stir in the chopped cilantro, serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
To cook in the oven, preheat your oven to 350℉ and cook for 30-40 minutes. Optional for oven add 1 tsp of liquid smoke.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 424Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 1079mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 21g