Crockpot Beef Barley soup is a filling healthy soup that is loaded with all kinds of flavor. It is the ultimate comfort food loaded with vegetables, beef, and barley for an easy and delicious meal.
Crockpot Beef Barley Soup
Crockpot beef barley soup is a recipe that takes very little effort to make that everyone loves. It is the perfect recipe for those cool crisp fall days that help you warm up inside.
I love that this recipe is easily made early in the day that we can enjoy for dinner just like our slow cooker potato soup.
How to make beef barley soup in the crockpot
- brown meat
- add all ingredients to the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 6 hours
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- If your soup is not as thick as you desire, add a water and cornstarch mixture to help thicken it more.
- Use a tough cut of meat for this recipe. I love picking up a chuck roast for this soup when they are on sale at the store and freezing.
- For even more flavor brown the meat prior to adding it to your crockpot. This helps seal in the juices of the meat.
- Potatoes are a great addition to this soup to make it even more hearty.
- To prevent your barley from becoming mushy you can cook it separately. If you plan on storing it, I highly recommend this.
- You can adapt this recipe to cook on the stove if desired.
This soup makes the perfect leftovers! I love to store it in individual airtight containers for quick on the go meals.
Store your leftover beef barley soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
This soup freezes great. You will want to store it in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
What goes with beef barley soup?
Beef barley is packed full of vegetables and protein making it a complete meal. If you would like to serve with a salad or bread it is a great addition.
Love soups? Try these great recipes!
Or Try this Slow Cooker chicken cacciatore
- 1.5 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup barley
- 6 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp. better than bouillon beef base
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- over medium heat add stew meat and olive oil. Cook until brown. (optional)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker
- stir mixture
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 719mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g