Arroz con Gandules Recipe
This Arroz con Gandules recipe is a super flavorful Puerto Rican rice that combines sauteed garlic, sofrito, tomato sauce, pigeon peas, capers, olives, and rice to create the ultimate Puerto Rican comfort food.
Arroz con Gandules Recipe
This Arroz con Gangules recipe has always been a favorite of mine! Growing up I remember my mom making it for all the special occasions in our house. To this day I have carried on the tradition. There is something about the delicious flavors that meld together in this traditional Purto Ricab rice dish that always has me craving more.
I love that I can make a huge pot of this dish and store it in the freezer to have for several more meals. A must-try dish to add to your celebrations.
If you love rice dishes be sure to try Instant Pot Burrito Chicken Bowl American Spanish Rice as well.
What is Arroz Con Gandules?
Arroz Con Gandules is a comfort Puerto Rican rice dish. In English, it is called “Rice with Pigeon Peas”. This dish is served for big gatherings and holidays.
How to Make Arroz con Gandules recipe
- Saute garlic and ham
- Add Sofrito, and tomato sauce
- Stir and add gandules, olives and capers
- Add Rice, broth and bring to a boil
- Cover and cook over a low heat.
Tips Tricks and FAQS
- Be sure to wash your rice in cold water prior to cooking. This helps clean it as well as helps make it less sticky by removing starch.
- This rice is super flavorful. It is important to taste while cooking and adjust the seasonings so it is the perfect flavor combination.
- This is one of those dishes that takes practice. If you make it once and you aren’t that impressed, make it again. The more you practice making this dish the better it will get.
- You want to make sure you use a heavy pot like a dutch oven.
- Stir your rice. If you fail to stir the rice while cooking it will be sticky. The more you stir the less sticky it will be.
- If you are wanting to make a layer of “Peago” on the bottom of your pot (loved by many), which is basically crispy rice, be sure that when stirring you don’t stir the very bottom of the pot.
What do you eat Arroz con Gandules with?
This rice dish is usually served with meat. I love serving it with roasted chicken or a pork shoulder. Of course, this recipe is filling enough that you can serve by itself as well.
Store your Arroz con Gandules in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
This rice freezes incredibly well. First, let it cool completely. I love to portion it out into smaller freezer-safe bags that I can pull out to quickly fix with an upcoming meal when freezing. It will last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When reheating you will want to add about 2 Tablespoons of water or chicken broth per cup to your rice so it will not be dried out.
Craving more rice dishes? Try these favorites!
How to Make Long Grain Rice in the Instant Pot
Panera Copycat Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice
Arroz con Gandules recipe
This Arroz con Gandules recipe is a super flavorful Puerto Rican rice that combines sautéed garlic, sofrito, tomato sauce, pigeon peas, capers, olives, and rice to create the ultimate Puerto Rican comfort food.
- 1 pound ham steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup sofrito ( I used the red tomato base)
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 packets Goya Sazon culantro y achiote 1.4 oz
- 8 oz olives with pimentos sliced or whole
- 15 oz can pigeon peas or grandules
- 3 cups chicken broth ( I used better than bouillon)
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup capers
I used a dutch oven to cook this recipe.
- Over a medium heat sauté olive oil and garlic. Add chopped up ham steak I also added in the ham bone. Cook 4-5 minutes.
- Add sofrito I used the tomato base but you can also use the cilantro base. That's a personal preference.
- Add in pigeon peas ( grandules)
- Add in olives with pimentos and capers
- Add in your chicken broth, sazon packets, and stir in long grain rice
- Add bay leaves
- bring to a boil
- reduce heat and place on low heat.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- stir every 5 minutes to prevent sticking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 247Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 1953mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g