Salted Caramel Cookie Bars are one of my favorite cookie bar recipes! A buttery cookie base that is filled with sweet chocolate chips, walnuts and then caramel sauce.
Salted Caramel Cookie Bars
What I love about these salted caramel chocolate chip cookie bars is that the salted caramel really brings out such richness in the bars.
Salt enhances the flavor of chocolate and sweet items like caramel. If you have never tried it, you are totally missing out.
How to Make Caramel Cookie Bars
Full recipe and measurements are in the printable recipe card below.
Step 1: The first thing is to preheat your oven and line your 9×13 pan with parchment paper. Set it aside.
Step 2: In a bowl, you need to add in your dry ingredients. Flour, salt, baking soda, and stir around until mixed and set aside.
Step 3: Now in a bowl beat you butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy. Add in the vanilla extract as well.
Step 4: Add in eggs one at a time until combined. Then slowly pour in the flour mixture and mix slowly until it forms a crumbly cookie dough texture.
Step 5: Stir in chocolate chips (1/2 of them) and 1/2 the walnuts. Once mixed, press half the chocolate chip cookie dough into the pan.
Step 6: Drizzle half the jar of caramel sauce and spread evenly. Now carefully top with the remaining cookie dough.
Step 7: Top with remaining chocolate chips and walnuts as well as coarse salt to taste. Bake as directed and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Step 8: Drizzle with more caramel sauce and slice and serve up these decadent cookie bars.
How to Know When Bars Are Done
The cookie caramel bars will become golden brown where you can see the cookie portion. You can also use a toothpick to stick in and make sure no raw cookie dough appears on the toothpick when you remove it from the mixture.
Can I Make Homemade Caramel Sauce
You can make a homemade caramel sauce or try out my dulce de leche. It is like a caramel sauce, just a thicker and richer flavor. This is a must-make!
I make my caramel leche a lot and use in desserts like this. Just use the same amount!
Storing Leftover Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
You can store your leftover bars on the counter for up to 5-7 days. These will be best when eaten within the first few days of making.
Like any baked good it will begin to dry out as it sits. Toss in the microwave for a few seconds to soften them up and give it a fresh out of the oven texture and warmth.
Freezing These Caramel Bars
You can freeze these salted caramel cookie bars. Simply allow your bars to fully cool from the oven. Then slice up and place in an airtight container or freezer container.
Freeze for 2-3 months. Then thaw on the counter or warm them up on defrost in the microwave for a quick thaw.
Interested In More Desserts with Caramel
- Instant Pot Apple Bread with Caramel Sauce
- Caramel Pecan Banana Bread
- Banoffee Pie
- Caramel Apple Cider Sangria
- Jar of Caramel Sauce (any brand)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts
- Coarse salt (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, salt, and baking soda together and set aside.
- Beat the butter, vanilla, brown sugar, and white sugar in a bowl with a wooden spoon. You can also use an electric mixer if you want.
- Add eggs and combine well.
- Pour in flour mixture slowly. The cookie dough will be crumbly.
- Fold in ½ the chocolate chips and ½ of the walnuts.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the pan. Use the back of a measuring cup or your hands to press it down.
- Drizzle ½ of the jar of caramel on the cookie dough.
- Add the rest of the cookie dough. Press down using the back of a spoon or your fingers.
- Drizzle some more caramel on top and add the rest of the chocolate chips and walnuts. Sprinkle with coarse salt to taste. Save some caramel for after they come out of the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. It’s done when the cookies are golden brown and you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Place the cookie bars on a wire rack to cool for 1 hour. Drizzle with the rest of the caramel, serve and eat. Enjoy!
- These cookies are really delicious and super sweet. You can cut back the amount of chocolate chips if you don’t want it to be as sweet.
- You can add in some peanut butter chips in place of some or all of the chocolate chips.
- You can swap out the walnuts for pecans or omit them completely.
- Instead of chocolate chips, you could also use any kind of candy bar instead. Just chop it up and add them in.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 139mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g